Be it a small meeting or a large-scale event, the experiences that the attendees have depends on those managing the event. Let’s find out how to organize a dream events team that won’t let you down on the big day.
Why do you need to organize a successful event team?
Building an event team can benefit attendance experiences in many ways:
- Problem solving. Events don’t always run smoothly, even with a master plan in your pocket. Having experienced people managing the event helps you solve problems quickly and efficiently, as well as collect some working ideas that help you prevent similar problems in future.
- No stress. The top-performing event planners occasionally experience stress when preparing for events. By having the opportunity to delegate some tasks to the other team members, you can reduce much of the pressure and maintain a positive atmosphere.
- Learn. Teamwork promotes knowledge sharing and learning from each other’s mistakes. Of course, one person cannot be an expert in all areas that relate to event organization. This is why you need the collaboration of several departments to ensure professional preparation for the entire occasion.
- Make events unique. Just as you recognize the writing style of your favorite author, you are be able to recognize the work of an event planner when he/she works alone. Collective thinking and idea sharing as a team helps you make events unique.
- Accelerate. With every team member having his/her own schedule and deadlines, you can organize and manage an event much faster than you could have alone.
Team and roles
Let’s say you’re the visionary, the originator of the event organization. Your commitment is to make sure that all the processes of event management and planning are powered by professional team members. To help with building a dream team, think in terms of special event committees that will be responsible for sets of tasks and then determine the event team roles. Check out these suggested committees you can create to manage an event:
- Team lead. You can call this person the father, an event guru, the master of ceremonies or any other fancy name that you like. The main thing: there should always be a person taking responsibility for how things go and checking on the completion of core operations.
- Program administration. People who belong to this squad have to take full control of the event activities from speaking sessions to catering. To make the tasks more specific, assign the responsibilities of attendee number control, menu development, and activity scheduling to different groups of people.
- Creative committee. To turn your event into a star, you have to pay attention to visuals, online promotion, and interaction with attendees. Build a team of professionals taking charge of communication with press, website creation, and visuals. This helps you build a future for the event.
- Operation liaisons. To strengthen the implementation part, you have to enable the efficiency of the activities like equipment setup, cleaning, and attendee support. This section is the great target sector for event volunteers because the majority of operational tasks require only minimal training.
- Treasury committee. The management of payments and budgeting makes up a separate category of tasks. By ensuring the smart management of finances, event planners can get the best out of the event budget and generate profits for their client.
Although each of the mentioned committees needs at least one person to govern the tasks, the use of automated event management platforms is a great solution for minimizing team involvement, without damaging the event’s success.
Manage your event team
Poor communication and lack of understanding can damage even the greatest event team structure. Both with small and large teams, you can use the power of digital tools to maintain a meaningful dialog, especially if some of the team members can’t attend a personal meeting. Choose the platform that has the feature of online workflow management to check the status of team performance and a chat app to communicate with the team members.
How to organize an event team step by step
To develop a successful event team, you need a working strategy. Learn how to ensure top-notch event management with several steps:
- Determine the goals. See what you should focus on in every specific event and adjust the team structure accordingly.
- Analyze the tasks. To understand which tasks should be governed by large teams and which ones can be managed by software, you have to conduct an evaluation of all event tasks.
- Hire the right people. Check whether the event team members possess the necessary experience to take charge of their assigned tasks.
- Create a common vision. The members of creative committees have to know about the aims of program administration managers. To ensure event efficiency, every team member should understand the mission of the event and be aware of the end goals.
- Evaluate. By providing feedback to team performance, you learn what should be improved and give people a chance to extend their expertise.
Tips for organizing an event team
Lastly, treat yourself to some juicy tips that will help you sharpen your team building strategy:
- Establish KPIs. Some professionals lack the vision of personal development while working on a team. To motivate your event team members to grow in their roles, you can create the sets of individual KPIs.
- Award excellent results. Of course, some team players work much better than their colleagues. Don’t disregard personal achievement especially with large teams and consider praising the best results to motivate better performance.
- Use automated platforms. Digital tools like event management software can give event planners a cutting-edge advantage in terms of simplifying registration, website building, and other event cycles.